Case Study: Managing Multiple ProjectsHave you ever had a tradesman turn up before you are ready for them
because other trades took longer than expected?
Lack of Coordination with Resources
I recently worked with a construction company with Six Large Building Projects on the go. The site supervisors listed jobs for the projects in Excel spreadsheets, with the process and the order to complete the projects mapped out in their heads.
The projects were not drawing from a combined resource pool and the boss couldn’t see the requirements for resources across all projects. There were continual clashes and delays between the projects due to them wanting the same resources at the same time. Soon there was a lack of certainty around the actual finish date compared to contract finish date. No one was sure how the projects were progressing!
- The client wants to know a date for when their new house will be completed
- The boss wants to know when their supervisors will be available for their next project
- The supervisors want a better way to run their projects
This is a classic failure of a static scheduling system like Excel.
There was always work done on site, but some things couldn’t get done because parts and materials hadn’t arrived, or trades were waiting on other trades to finish before they could start their jobs.
Develop Master Project with a Shared Resource Pool
We quickly and effectively developed project plans for each project and a resource pool to give the boss certainty around the finish dates for each project.
With this method site supervisors were able to identify the issues actually encountered by the site on site, and put in place plans to mitigate the issues.
By Preparing Detailed Project Plans the Boss was able to:
- Reliably Advise his Clients of their Project Finish Date
- Analyse Upcoming Availability of his Core Team
- Set about Winning more Business
Want to learn more? Register for our Microsoft Project Training Course:
By Following My Methods…
- You’ll have the ability to plan your project effectively
- See a Clear Map of how you can run your Project
- – How long the Project takes
- – How Much the Project Costs
- Communicate your plan clearly to team members and Align them with the project
- Know when your teams are required and What they are doing
- – Look Ahead at Upcoming Work
- Track your progress and see the Impact of change in your project
- Make informed decisions to catch up on lost time and bring your project back on track